- Nocturnal – Animals that are active primarily at night.
- Spade – Another word for shovel and is used for digging.
- The Spadefoot Toad got it’s name because of it’s shovel-shaped feet, which it uses to dig with.
- One of the differences between toads and frogs is that toads do not have teeth.
- The Spadefoot Toad has cat-like vertical pupils in it’s eyes so it can see better at night since it is nocturnal.
- Because the Spadefoot Toad likes to burrow itself into the soil, it helps to aerate the soil.
- During hibernation, the Spadefoot Toads curl into a tight ball and excrete a fluid that hardens the soil around them, forming a compact area that holds in moisture.