- Native – Naturally occurring in an area
- Jacobson’s organ – patch of sensory cells within the main nasal chamber that can distinguish odors
- Oviparous – egg laying animal
- Ectothermic – an animal that relies on external sources for body heat
- Articulated – having 2 or more sections connected by a flexible joint
- Racer snakes can move at 8 to 10 miles per hour, about as fast as a jogger.
- They swallow their food live and whole.
- They can eat food that is three times bigger than their heads because they have articulated jaws.
- Their favorite foods are amphibians, frogs and salamanders. The more they eat, the faster they grow.
- They smell with their forked tongues and use the difference in the strength of the scent between their right and left to know which way to go to find prey.