- Scute – modified scale; the scales on a turtle’s back and bellies, which get shed as the turtle grows.
- Freshwater – naturally occurring water that doesn’t include saltwater or brackish water.
- Captivity – condition of being imprisoned or confined (vs. wild).
- Hatchlings – a young animal that has recently emerged from its egg.
- Omnivore – an animal that eats both plants and animals.
- Painted turtles get their name because of their red and yellow stripes along the side of their body.
- The turtle’s shell grows with the turtle.
- Painted turtles live only in fresh water.
- Turtles can live up to 30 years.
- Turtles need sunlight to help them digest their food.