Some birds mentioned during the program
- Scurvy – a disease caused by a vitamin C deficiency, which particularly affected malnourished sailors
- Invasive – any kind of organism not naturally found in an ecosystem and causes harm
- Native – organism naturally occurring in an ecosystem and not introduced by humans
- Dunes – natural buffers between a beach area and a salt marsh or other habitat.
- The sand dune in this video is man made.
- The berries of dune plants poison ivy and bayberry are eaten by swallows to give them energy for their fall migration.
- The fruit or hips of the dune plant rugasa rose are so high in Vitamin C that they were harvested and eaten by sailors to avoid becoming “scurvy dogs, argh!”