We’re visiting our friends at A Place Called Hope!
- Owlet – small or young owl.
- Egg tooth – protrusion on tip of beak to help it break open the egg.
- Great Horned Owls don’t make their own nests, they use old hawk’s nests or other nests.
- Great Horned Owls don’t have horns; their feather tufts often get confused with ears or horns..
- Great Horned Owls like to nest high up in a tree.
- Great Horned Owls can eat mice whole.
- Great Horned Owls were once considered the tigers of the sky due to their lightning fast speed.
- They are the largest owls in North America. They usually weigh 3-4 pounds as an adult, Females weigh more than the males.
If you find a baby bird on the ground that can’t walk, fly or hop you should protect it from predators like cats and call a rehabilitator. There is a list of rehabilitators on the CT DEEP website.
A Place Called Hope in Killingworth is a rehabilitation facility that specializes in raptors. It is a non-profit facility that provides rehab and public education.