- Salmon River State Forest – a 6,000 acre Connecticut state forest with the Salmon River running through and featuring fly fishing and the Comstock Covered Bridge.
- Witch Hazel – a natural ointment made from the leaves and bark of the North American Witch Hazel tree or shrub. It is usually applied topically to treat certain skin conditions and inflammations, or as a tea to soothe the throat or other internal ailments.
- The Red Oak acorn cap is flat and barely covers the acorn and the Black Oak cap is a deeper bowl shape.
- Essex, Connecticut was once the witch hazel manufacturing capital of the world.
- Eastern Hop-Hornbeam has exceptionally dense wood – may also be known as Ironwood. American Hornbeam has a smooth gray bark, a ridged trunk and hard wood – may also be referred to as Musclewood due to the deep furrows.