Ranger Russ mentioned seeing a red-winged blackbird on the walk. These birds are an example of a species that are dimorphic, meaning the males and females have different physical appearances.
Mallard Ducks also show dimorphism.
- Habitat – natural home or environment of an animal, plant or organism.
- Cambium – plant tissue.
- Berm – flat strip of raised land, a bank.
- Microburst – sudden, powerful, localized air current especially during a storm.
- Dimorphic – two distinct forms.
- Invasive plants – plants not native to an area; introduced species which causes harm to an environment by reducing native species.
- Baby beavers are called kits.
- Beaver scat contains mostly wood chips.
- Beavers don’t live in the dams they build, but in lodges.
- Beaver’s teeth are an orange-yellow color because they contain iron.
- Beavers slap the water to warn the others about predators.
- Beavers front teeth never stop growing; chewing wood helps keep them at the right length.
- Beavers are the second largest rodent in the world after the Capybara.
- Beavers can live up to 24 years in the wild.