Skip to content
- Terrapin – a species of turtle native to brackish coastal tidal marshes of the eastern US. “Terrapin” is derived from an Algonquin word meaning “little turtle.”
- Watershed – a land draining to a particular body of water – the watershed of Long Island Sound includes Connecticut.
- This turtle is called a Diamondback Terrapin due to diamond-shaped scutes (plates) on its top shell (carapace) that has a bullseye in each diamond.
- The terrapin can detect the salinity in the water and can find the right salinity to drink. Salt glands around the eyes allow them to secrete excess salt from their bloodstream.
- The terrapin has strong legs and paddle-like webbed feet that allow them to swim very fast.